Junction Artist in Residence program
- Call for Artists October 15th to November 15th, 2017
- Apply online, click here
- learn about JAR 2016, the first-ever Artist in Residence Program
What is “Sewing Through a Landscape”?
The Junction Artist in Residence Program is a three month-long artist in residence experience, where the artist will be immersed in the culture, landscape and community of the Kluane region. The artist will capture this experience by creating a piece or collection of wearable art or fashion.
This residency uses fashion as the focus as a way to connect to the local and traditional fashions and textiles of the Kluane region and Yukon Territory at large. This is a one-of-a-kind opportunity for Canadian fashion and textile artists as it is one of the only residencies of its kind. The JAR program provides a challenging yet rewarding experience for the artist, due to its length and of course the choice of fashion as a non-conventional medium for residency programs.
How can one support/ benefit of this program?
As a partner with the JAR program, you can support us in many ways;
1) Reaching out to the artist during the residency.
2) Donating textiles, clothing, fabric, and other relevant materials for the artist’s endeavors.
3) Visit or participate in JAR related events, receptions and presentations for the 2018 Program.
4) Sign up for the Kluane Friends of Fashion Newsletter to be updated with offerings and requests related to the JAR Program.
5) Share your knowledge of textiles, fashion & other creative practices with the artist.
6) Participate in or volunteer for JAR programming.
7) Consider giving affordable or free housing for the artist in residence. This housing will serve as accommodation and/or a studio space.
8) Promote your business or organization by becoming an official program sponsor.
Art is a fundamental base of healthy community growth.